Millions of aging adults need help to complete activities of daily living such as showering, eating and taking their medication. One of the hardest decisions a family may need to make is deciding whether or not their aging loved one needs to be placed into assisted living.  Below are some significant signs that your loved one may need a higher level of care. 

  • Wandering:  One of the later signs of dementia is wandering. Even within a home wandering can be dangerous as daily tasks like going to the bathroom can lead to falls and injuries.
  • Aggression: When an aging loved one begins to show physical and verbal aggression it may be another sign that their condition is deteriorating. Furthermore, this behavior could lead to family members becoming resentful.
  • Their house no longer safe: If you no longer feel that your loved one is safe in their home if they are not being supervised then it is time for them to receive a higher level of care in an assisted living facility.
  • Caregiver burnout: Taking care of an aging loved one can take an enormous toll on anyone. If you are feeling burnt out it does not help you or your loved one if you continue to try to take care o them if they need a higher level of care.

If you notice any of these signs, you should begin to consider long-term nursing care for your loved one.  In addition, having your loved one try out respite care can help you decide whether you loved ones needs long term care or at the very least give you and your family a much-needed break. At Sprain Brook Manor we can work with you, and your family to give you advice and options when it comes to taking care of your loved ones and their unique care needs. This post is provided by Sprain Brook Manor Rehab which Provides unique opportunity to recover from medical procedures that result in true satisfying results. Getting you stronger and better every day. Contact Us today to receive more information.Disclaimer: The information provided in this post in not intended to be construed as health advice, nor should it be considered a substitute for obtaining individual medical counsel or consulting your physician.